Sunday, March 12, 2023

Paint Right of Way

Now that I have the work space organized and cleaned for the most part, its now time to get the roadway ready for track laying. 

From looking at various construction pictures over the years, you would notice that the extruded polystyrene foam I'm using for roadway is multi-colored. Some is in its original blue (from 20 years ago), green (from the last couple of years), and a browny tan color. The browny-tan color was an earth color that Andy Sperandeo,  a contributor and late executive editor Model Railroader Magazine, recommended ina layout construction project printed in Model Railroader. His recommendation was  Burro Beige,  I think from Sherwood Williams. Not knowing my soil colors I went out and bought a gallon and liberally painted the sections I had developed to date. It was a great improvement over blue foam.

Well Burro Beige isnt on the color charts any more, so I had to cut a chunk out of my  right of way scrap pile and take it to Lowes for a computer match.  The computer does an ok job of matching but its not absolute. Your results may vary. The new color is pretty decent for a first of many layers of ground cover. 

With a roller, a 4 inch brush and a paint pan I started at one end of the layout room and started painting. The job moved right along, especially since most of the right of way is now cleared of mountains of miscellaneous supplies. It gives the room a little more of a finished look. 

In the interest of continued cleaning and organizing, I put up pre-painted fascia that had been sitting on the right of way for more than a little while. There was a giant improvement  - made me think that big things were happening.  See 3.7 Valence / Fascia for additional details. 

While I was temporarily installing the fascia, I took advantage of the opportunity and constructed a Car Card Box and Sorting Rack,  and a Pen / Uncoupler Holder. It is too early to operationally use them but having them there was an opportunity to test the concept. Another small project completed. 

With a paint job, the laying down of roadbed lines will be easier - no more guessing which line is the old line, the new line or an accidental line. My layout line strategy will be discussed at 4.2.1 Putting down layout lines. I am going to do a test section on right of way construction first to get the process down before I go live on the WWSL right of way.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment