Sunday, September 27, 2020

Layout Details - Construction Overview

Layout Details. Layout details identifies the specifics xxx. It is broken down into two main elements: 5) track planning and 6) construction. Construction consists of four subsets:

a. Human Factors. This basically answers what you want your layout room to be able to do when you are finished.

b. Lighting and Electrical. This section identifies the general and layout specific needs in terms of lighting and electrical.

c. Room Preparation. This identifies the deconstruction and construction to be done's (TBD) that need to be done.

d. Benchwork. Finally! When everything else is done, this section identifies what type of benchwork needs to be constructed.
 
Human Factor. Here are the areas for consideration. 
  • Access to Utilities. Access to set tub, washer and dryer connections. Access to electrical panel, basement drains, and water meter. Access to furnace and water heater. Here were my utility locations. 
  • Crew Lounge. A crew lounge was a luxury I wanted, even though I am a lone wolf modeler. I anticipate recruiting a crew and opening the layout to tours at some point of  time. Combining the Crew Lounge and the Utilities area made alot of sense!
  • Good Storage. I wanted a lot of general storage under the layout.

  • Large Aisles. I'm NOT a fan of small aisles. Been there done that. I like large open areas to work and move through.
  • Clean area. Drywall ceiling, painted walls, and indoor outdoor carpeting.
Lighting and Electrical
 
  • Good Lighting. The original basement had 4 100 watt light bulbs. I wanted 4 total general  lighting zones in the basement, and and an outlet for each of my layout lighting zones. I needed to add nine light switches to control all the lighting zones.
  •  
  • Improved Electrical. There were only two wall outlets in the original basement configuration. I wanted at least two outlet boxes on each wall. I added 6 circuit breakers to my circuit breaker box in anticipation of layout lighting and power needs. 
Room Preparation. 

Deconstruction of the layout space. This is what I had when I went downstairs to the future layout room: Layout Room (Before)

Constructing the layout space.  There is a theory of construction. Of course I didn't follow the construction concepts below for a variety of reasons, including stupidity. If you want to see what not to do read my construction articles beginning here Room Preparation.

  • Empty the space. Working around storage piles, etc is counter-productive time wise.
  • Start at the top and work your way down. This means install all the electrical and lighting in the ceiling, add whatever cable or plumbing requirements, etc.
  • Drywall the ceiling. I found based on my existing basement height, and my desire for valences, that a drop ceiling would not be ideal. All major plumbing raceways are open to repair - the raceways are covered with luan plywood for ascetics. 
  • Work from the outside of the space to the inside.  Fill all cracks in the wall as required. Paint the concrete walls with waterproofing paint.
  • Build interior stud walls (outside walls first, then interior walls).
  • Add electrical and cable wall outlets as required.
  • Drywall as desired.
  • Carpet the floor.

Benchwork
 
WWSL vers.3.0 is salvaged from vers 2.0. I will be using a stud wall, L-Girder frame work and panel type benchwork. See 3.0 Construction for specific details

No comments:

Post a Comment