Sunday, October 25, 2020

Valence 4

Last week i discussed a change in benchwork, resizing the south wall modules from 24 inches to 32 inches in depth. This change while relatively minor resulted in a whole new problem regarding valence location. 

What I failed to realize was that when the ceiling was installed I ran 1x3s and 1x4s to match drywall panel locations. I did NOT add 1x3s at the valence location points. I had two options: 1) I'd  have to mark the ceiling at 32 inches from the wall and cut out the drywall 3 inches wide along the entire 12 foot valence footprint, install a new 1x3 and then replace the piece of drywall I cut out, or 2) I'd have to estimate the location of each rafter and then use a 6 inch long drill bit to find the real location and then use a longer lag screw to secure the valence to the ceiling. 

Keeping it simple, I quickly installed the east wall valence per normal practice. As i had an 8 inch opening along the south wall ceiling that hadnt been drywalled yet, finding the rafters was no problem - a 4' drywall T square made estimating easier and within an hour i had the valences installed.  I missed a couple of rafters by several inches (laterally) but thats just a couple of holes to spackle and the damage is hidden. 


 

I then finished drywalling the last bit of ceiling and will hit it with spackle and a paint job next week.

All thats left is a short 4 foot section had to be cut at the new 48 inch location for the helix valence, and then installing the party light strings. 


No comments:

Post a Comment