Sunday, August 2, 2020

Layout Planning - Given and Druthers Matrix

 

In Layout Design Process 4 - Railroad Modeling I identified that the layout design process can be broken down into three primary functional areas: Concept, Structure and Layout Detail.

Structure. Structure identifies the parameters within which the layout must be designed. It is broken down into two main elements: 3) resources available, and 4) layout planning to build the railroad.

Now that we've gone thru the process of identifing the parameters within which the layout must be designed its time to spreadsheet them so we can go to the next area of layout design - Layout Detail.

Givens


I have a number of givens:

  • Space. I am going to construct the WWSL in the 30' x 25' basement. Approximately 75 percent of the basement will be used for layout and the other 25 percent for utillities, workshop and crew lounge.


  • Scale. I am continuing to model in HO scale and will reuse my existing locomotive and rolling stock as appropriate to the WWSLs concept.
  • Finances. I have sufficient finances to initiate construction and bring the layout to completion within the time frame established.
  • Benchwork. I will recycle the benchwork I had used for WWSL v2.0
  • Modules. I will continue to use the 2' x 8' transportable modules I had used for WWSL v2.
  • Trackwork. I will continue to use Shinohara / Walthers code 83 track, turnout and special works.

Druthers


Using Bernard Kempinsk's spreadsheet format, I have outlined my druthers based on functional area.




 With these givens and druthers identified, its time to design the WWSL ver 3.0.




 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment