Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Purpose, Goals and Objectives 2020

A statement of purpose and a description of goals and objectives are important elements that are usually found in specific types of result-oriented documentations and manuscripts such as strategic plans and scholarly publications. Thus, these three concepts are essential in undertakings that involve planning or research and inquiry.

Knowing the difference between purpose, goals, and objectives is essential not only in defining the scope and limits of a particular undertaking but also in appreciating and achieving desired results.

The difference between Purpose, Goals, and Objectives 

The following standard definitions provided a better understanding of the difference between purpose, goals, and objectives:

1. Purpose: Purpose provides the reason for doing something or more specifically, for justifying the the desired results. It essentially represents intentions.

2. Goals: A goal is a general statement describing the desired results. It represents aspiration or sets future directions or destinations.

3. Objectives: Objectives represent concrete actions needed to achieve the aspirations or steps required to reach predetermined destinations.

From the aforementioned definitions, purpose supersedes goals, which, on the other hand, supersedes objectives. Furthermore, purpose and goal are general and abstract concepts while objectives are not only specific and concrete but also measurable.

Purpose also influences goals and objectives. It provides the foundation for determining desired results, as well as the general framework for driving toward this desired result.

Purpose
 
To enhance my model railroading hobby experience by designing, constructing and operating version  a HO scale layout. Such layout will:

  • further my interests in history, geography, and railroad operations,
  • enhance my home renovation skills in the area of construction, electrical and plumbing,
  • challenge me in the development and creation of scenic diaramas, and 
  • stimulate my interest in kitbatching model locomotives, rolling stock, and structures.
Long Term Goals

LTG #1: I want to build a medium sized HO model railroad layout that's based on my interests in Class III railroads, traction, logging and coal mining.

LTG #2: I want a layout design that will let me operate it in a prototypical fashion, capable of a variety of operational activities that maintains my interest.

LTG #3: I want it to be sectional so that I can expand it easily, transport portions outside for construction, maintenance or show, and bring it with me if/when I move. If I move to a place with a larger basement I can reconfigure my sections to adapt to the greater area.

LTG #4: I want to improve my modeling skill sets in the areas of scenery, electrical, locomotive and rolling stock kitbatching, and structure building. I want to work on the Master Model Railroading Achievement program.

LTG #5: I want the layout to be completed to general standards within 3 years, and enjoyable for a total of 8 to 10 years. I want the layout to be affordable, utilizing my existing modules, locomotives and rolling stock whenever possible.

Short Term Goals (2020)

STG #1:  I want the first half of the layout utilizing the existing WWSL 2.0 bench work installed within 3 to 6 months.

STG#2:  I want enough track from WWSL 2.0 relaid to new design and construction standards and at least some train running in 6 to 9 months.

STG#3:  I want to complete 16 square feet of at least one signature scene within 9 months and one of 4 levels of the layout completed (less detail) in a year.

STG#4: I want the second half of the layout room constructed, benchwork installed and basic modules constructed in one year.



No comments:

Post a Comment